1/5 Photos of My Own Caribbean Christmas Fruit Cake Also Known As Great Cake
This is a dense fruit cake that is prepared for Christmas and for weddings in Barbados and other areas in the Caribbean. It is usually sweet and soaked in alcohol. The fruit mixture can be prepared many months in advance and allowed to soak.
My Private Note
large c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 1 lb raisins
- 1 lb prune
- 1 lb cherries
- 1 lb currants
- 1/2 lb mixed peel (optional)
- 2 (8 ounce) bottles port wine or 2 (8 ounce) bottles red wine or 2 (8 ounce) bottles sherry wine
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle rum
- 1 (8 ounce) bottle red wine
- 1 lb sugar
- 10 eggs
- 1 lb flour
- 4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 lb butter
- 6 teaspoons almond extract
- 2 teaspoons Angostura bitters
- 1 teaspoon powdered clove
- 1 cup browning sauce
- 2 teaspoons mixed spice
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 cup Crisco
- 1About three months before preparation of the cake mix or puree the fruits.
- 2Pour the alcohol over them and allow them to soak.
- 3Cream the sugar and butter together.
- 4Add the eggs two at a time.
- 5Add the essence and angostura bitters.
- 6Combine the dry ingredients and spices with the flour and add them to the batter.
- 7Add the colouring to the mixture.
- 8A wooden spoon should be able to stand in the mixture with falling to easily.
- 9Grease and double line a large cake pan.
- 10Cover the pan with foil paper.
- 11Place a shallow pan of water in the bottom of the oven. This is to increase the moisture of the cake.
- 12Bake at 250- 300°F for 2-3 hours.
- 13Test for doneness with a skewer after about 2 hours.
- 14When done, prick the cake with a skewer repeatedly and pour sweet red wine all over the cake.
- 15Replace wine when the cake has soaked it up.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for My Own Caribbean Christmas Fruit Cake Also Known As Great Cake
Serving Size: 1 (252 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 20
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 757.6
- Calories from Fat 293
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 15.9 g
- Cholesterol 141.8 mg
- Sodium 406.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 101.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.0 g
- Sugars 65.8 g
- Protein 8.4 g
The following items or measurements are not included: