Prep 20 mins
Cook 35 mins
This fabulous, tasty chowder has classic easty-to-find ingredients and is a cinch to make! If you enjoy clam chowder (or never had it before)- and try this simple recipe- I am sure this will be a winner for you. It sure is at my home!
- 8 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, diced
- 1⁄2 cup Chardonnay wine or 1⁄2 cup other dry white wine
- 1 cup whipping cream (35%)
- 1 cup milk
- 2 (5 ounce) cans clams (reserve juice or nectar)
- 2 large bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon thyme leaves
- 2 -3 cups baking potatoes, peeled and 1/2 inch diced
- 1 cup canned unsweetened evaporated milk
- 1⁄4 cup fresh parsley, chopped
- coarse salt
- freshly cracked black pepper
- Brown the bacon until crisp in a thick-bottomed soup pot.
- Pour off half the fat.
- Add the onions and celery with a splash of water and saute for a few minutes until soft.
- Add the white wine, cream, milk, and the juice/nectar.
- Add bay leaves, thyme, and the diced potatoes.
- Bring the mixture to a SLOW simmer.
- Continue simmering for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are softened and the chowder has thickened.
- Add the reserved clam meat, evaporated milk and parsley.
- Bring back to a slow simmer.
- Taste the chowder and add enough salt and pepper to season it.
- Serve with your favorite crusty rolls or biscuits!
- Hint- This chowder can be made a day or two in advance and reheated prior to serving. Its flavor actually benefits from resting in the refrigerator overnight.
A great and tasty clam chowder. I only made 1/2 of the recipe for a lunch. I added some extra onion and only went with 1/4 cup of wine. Prepared as a participant of the Aus/NZ Swap #38 March 2010.
I made this according to the directions, but it just didn't come out well for me. I think there was too much thyme for us. Thank you for sharing though.
I pretty much followed this recipe down the line, with one exception ~ I cut the amount of bacon back to 4 slices ('cause that's what I usually do, either cut back on the bacon or eliminate it)! STILL, the taste of this clam chowder is really great, & I'm willing to add the recipe to my soup book! Thanks so much! [Made & reviewed as a bonus tag for one of my invitees to AUS/NZ Recipe Swap #14, Mar 08]