Recipe by Crabzilla
This really is a simple recipe and can be prepared in no time flat. Prep and cooking times are estimates depending on how quick ya can mince and any quirks your oven may have! It makes a great main meal for two (it's very, very rich) with a hearty salad and a loaf of good hot bread. This is also one of those recipes that you can play around with and add different ingredients that you may have on hand in your fridge; sometimes I like to throw in a little diced jalepeno pepper. I will say that, although expensive, fresh lump crab meat is really the best for this recipe and I have never tried it with frozen crab meat.
- 2 tablespoons minced carrots
- 2 tablespoons minced celery
- 2 tablespoons minced red bell peppers
- 1 tablespoon minced green bell pepper
- 2 large mushrooms, minced
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1⁄2 cup chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup dry vermouth or 1⁄4 cup dry white wine (I prefer wine)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon crumbled dried tarragon
- 1⁄2 cup heavy cream
- 1⁄2 lb fresh lump crabmeat, picked over
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1⁄8 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- parsley (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a small heavy saucepan, over moderate heat, melt butter and cook carrot, celery, red bell pepper, green bell pepper, mushrooms, and crushed red pepper for about 2 minutes.
- Add chicken broth, vermouth or wine, and tarragon and boil mixture until liquid is reduced to about 1 Tablespoon.
- Add cream and boil sauce until thickened- about 1-2 minutes.
- Stir in crab meat, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste, and divide mixture between two one cup shallow baking dishes.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and top with Parmesan.
- Broil gratin about 4 inches from heat until bubbling and golden- about 2 minutes.
- Let stand for about 5 minutes and sprinkle with parsley.