Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr
When my 3 girls were little, every Halloween night we would have neighbors over as they were getting into their costumes and I would serve this chili. They are grown now and this chili is a tradition in their homes! Not your traditional chili recipe,hope you like it!
- 4 -5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 3 chopped white onions (seems like a lot but really works!)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 whole cloves (sometimes I add extra)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (I use quite a bit more, just add to your taste)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- salt and pepper
- Brown beef in oil, add chopped vegetables and cook until vegetables are tender.
- In a large kettle, put 2 cups of water and cloves and bring to a boil.
- Add chopped tomatoes with juice and simmer for about 15 minutes to get the flavor of the cloves.
- Take out cloves and add meat, vegetables, paprika, chili powder, and seasonings (add more spice if you need, I think it needs more chili powder than the recipe calls for).
- Simmer 1 hour; add kidney beans and continue to simmer for 15 minutes.
- This is not a thick chili, it's great over hot tamales.
Really enjoyed your chili, cajun chef. Would love to have had it over tamales, but alas...haven't yet found any in New Zealand so served it over rice and it was still yummy. We'll have this again for sure. Thanks for posting your recipe.