When my 3 girls were little, every Halloween night we would have neighbors over as they were getting into their costumes and I would serve this chili. They are grown now and this chili is a tradition in their homes! Not your traditional chili recipe,hope you like it!
- 4 -5 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1⁄2 lbs ground beef
- 3 chopped white onions (seems like a lot but really works!)
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 garlic clove
- 2 whole cloves (sometimes I add extra)
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chili powder (I use quite a bit more, just add to your taste)
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans
- salt and pepper
- Brown beef in oil, add chopped vegetables and cook until vegetables are tender.
- In a large kettle, put 2 cups of water and cloves and bring to a boil.
- Add chopped tomatoes with juice and simmer for about 15 minutes to get the flavor of the cloves.
- Take out cloves and add meat, vegetables, paprika, chili powder, and seasonings (add more spice if you need, I think it needs more chili powder than the recipe calls for).
- Simmer 1 hour; add kidney beans and continue to simmer for 15 minutes.
- This is not a thick chili, it's great over hot tamales.