Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
My dad's recipe for soft oatmeal cookies. You can customize them by adding chocolate chips, raisins or nuts. My husband's favourite!
- 1 cup butter or 1 cup margarine
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground cinnamon (optional)
- 3 cups quick-cooking oats
- In a medium bowl, cream together butter, white sugar and brown sugar. Beat in eggs one at a time, then stir in vanilla. Combine flour, baking soda salt and cinnamon; stir into the creamed mixture. Mix in oats. Here is where you can add chocolate chips or nuts, if desired. Cover, and chill dough for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 375 F. Grease cookie sheets. Roll the dough into walnut sized balls, and place 2 inches apart on cookie sheets. Flatten each cookie with a large fork dipped in sugar.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes in preheated oven. Allow cookies to cool on baking sheet for 5 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.