Recipe by Casey.Company
I am constantly receiving requests for more spaghetti squash recipes, but if you are like me? I can only eat so much of it the typical way, with marinara sauce. I like that it is healthy alternative to pasta, but I get sick of spaghetti squash quickly. So I spent time experimenting with a few of my different recipe ideas and this has to be my favorite one so far (other than my squash cakes with avocado dipping sauce). My spaghetti squash chicken pad Thai may not have all the ingredients of the 'traditional dish', but it is so DANG GOOD. This recipe is low in calories, high in protein and gluten free (if you use GF soy sauce) so you can't go wrong. Don't let the number of ingredients scare you, this is an easy recipe. If you like pad Thai you're gonna FLIP! Just wait til you try it...I really nailed this recipe!
- 1 spaghetti squash
- 1 lb lean ground chicken
- 1⁄4 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 cup bean sprouts (optional) or 1 red bell pepper, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon chopped peanuts (garnish) (optional)
- 2 tablespoons reduced sodium soy sauce (you can use GF)
- 1⁄4 cup chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (2 tsp if you like it spicier)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice (about half a lime)
- 2 teaspoons corn starch mixed with 1 tbsp water
- follow my Spaghetti Squash 101 steps: take your knife and poke a few holes in the skin, in a dotted line along where you plan to slice the squash in half (they do not have to be super deep). Place the whole squash in the microwave for about 6 minutes. Let it cool slightly, cut off the stem end and then cut it in half along the dotted line you created and remove seeds.
- place your cut squash (halves or quarters) face down in a glass dish with 4 tbsp of water and microwave for about 10 minutes.
- while squash is cooking in microwave, whisk together your soy sauce, chicken broth, light brown sugar, peanut butter, rice vinegar, hot sauce, ground ginger, minced garlic, lime juice in a bowl and set sauce aside. Mix your corn starch with water and whisk into sauce.
- chop your onion and red bell pepper (optional) and set aside. Spray stove-top wok pan (or large fry pan) with cooking spray and add your ground chicken, basil, pepper and salt and cook about 5 minutes. Add your onion and bell pepper stirring occasionally until meat is fully cooked.
- remove inside of spaghetti squash from skin with fork and add into wok with cooked chicken. Toss in the bean sprouts (optional), sauce and top with chopped peanuts (optional).