Pali's Favorites's Note:
There are a variety of eggplant salads in Palestinian cuisine, but this is one which you will find in every restaurant as part of the traditional "Meza".
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Remove the head of the eggplants, and make two horizontal incisions with the knife on each side of the eggplant.
- 2Place the eggplants under the grill for 30 minutes, until the skin is almost burnt. In the meantime, mix the two tablespoons of Tehina with the lemon juice until it becomes a smooth light beige uniform paste.
- 3Remove the eggplants, and place them on a plate.
- 4Bring a deep dish and open up the eggplants.
- 5Start removing the inside of the eggplants and placing it in the deep dish. Make sure you don't take any of the skin.
- 6The insides of the eggplant will be slightly watery, so mix it with a fork which would at the same time cut it into smaller pieces, almost a paste though not uniform in any way.
- 7Add the Tehina paste and mix well with the fork.
- 8Crush the garlic cloves with the chili pepper and add to the mixture.
- 9Mix well. Add salt and olive oil to taste.
Browse Our Top Vegetable Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mutabbal (Eggplant Salad)
Serving Size: 1 (308 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 146.1
- Calories from Fat 67
- Total Fat 7.5 g
- Saturated Fat 1.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 302.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 19.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 10.1 g
- Sugars 7.1 g
- Protein 4.3 g