1 hr 15 mins
Bob Marshall's Note:
An easy, tasty, braised chicken dish. One pot meal. Use a gourmet bottled mustard (e.g., maple champagne mustard)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 453.59 g chicken thigh, skin on and bone in (four pieces)
- salt & pepper
- 1 carrot, cut in 1/4 inch dice
- 2 stalk celery, cut in 1/4 inch dice
- 1 sweet onion, cut in 1/4 inch dice
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 button mushrooms, sliced
- 236.59 ml dry sherry
- 1 bay leaf
- 44.37 ml mustard
- 354.88 ml vegetable stock (Vegetable Stock)
- 14.79 ml cornstarch
- 44.37 ml sour cream
- 1Salt and pepper skin side of chicken thighs. Heat a heavy stainless steal pan, reduce heat to medium and put in chicken skin side down to brown and render chicken fat. Chicken will stick at first, do not touch as skin browns and fat renders chicken will free itself. Salt and pepper meat side of chicken. Turn over and brown meat side.
- 2Remove chicken from pan and set aside under foil. Add carrots, celery, onion, mushrooms and garlic to pan, salt & pepper to taste and saute until softened (5-7 minutes).
- 3Deglaze pan with sherry and add bay leaf. Increase heat to high and reduce 50%.
- 4Add mustard and stir to mix well.
- 5Return chicken to pan skin side up. Add broth sufficient to cover chicken two-thirds. Bring to boil, cover reduce heat and simmer 45 minutes until chicken is fall off the bone tender.
- 6Mean while make a slurry with corn starch. When chicken is done, uncover and stir in just enough of slurry to slightly thicken sauce till it coats a spoon. Cook one to two minutes so starch looses raw taste.
- 7Add sour cream and stir in well. Remove from heat and taste sauce. Adjust salt & pepper as needed.
- 8Serve two thighs with a small mound of grits, polenta, mashed potatoes, couscous or egg noodles.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mustard Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (561 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 2
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 1828.4
- Calories from Fat 751
- Total Fat 83.5 g
- Saturated Fat 14.6 g
- Cholesterol 200.4 mg
- Sodium 12989.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 92.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 39.8 g
- Sugars 20.0 g
- Protein 91.7 g
The following items or measurements are not included: