Prep 20 mins
Cook 10 mins
from the Mayo Clinic - http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/healthy-recipes/NU00328#
- 1 1⁄2 lbs mussels, scrubbed and debearded
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1⁄3 cup chopped shallots or 1⁄3 cup chopped red onion
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh Italian parsley, for serving
- Discard any mussels that are gaping open and don't close when tapped — a sign they're not alive and fresh.
- In a large saucepan, combine the mussels, wine, shallots and garlic. Bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce the heat to medium, cover and cook, shaking the pan periodically, until all the mussels are opened, about 5 minutes.
- Remove the mussels from the pan with a slotted spoon and divide among individual shallow bowls. Discard any cooked mussels that didn't open.
- Raise the heat to high and continue cooking the wine mixture to reduce slightly and deepen the flavors, about 2 to 3 minutes. Pour the wine mixture over the mussels. Sprinkle with the parsley and serve.