Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 mins
A recipe I found, and tasted, at a London food fair.
- 1 kg live mussels
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 100 ml double cream
- 100 ml light wheat beer (Hoegaarden)
- Wash the mussels in cold running water.
- Pull off any stringy "beards" and throw away any mussels that fail to close after tapping them firmly.
- Get out a large, heavy saucepan with a tight fitting lid and place it over a high heat.
- Add the mussels, Hoegaarden and onion, then immediately cover with the lid.
- Give the pan a shake once in a while to move the mussels around.
- As soon as the mussels have all opened, add the cream.
- Boil for 30 seconds or so, remove from the heat and add the parsley.
- Serve with a crusty bread for mopping up the sauce and a big plate of french fries and mayonnaise!