Recipe by dianegrapegrower
Comfort food at it's best. Really delicious with smashed potatoes and salad or green vege. And it freezes really well, making this a nice option for OAMC too.
Top Review by MoggyK9
This was delicious! I wanted to prepare dinner early so I could relax. So I prepared the recipe as stated but instead of simmering it on the stove top, I put it in my cast iron dutch oven and put it in the oven at 325 degrees for about 2.5 hours - I did add a little extra broth (I used beef) since I was cooking it so long but other than that I followed the recipe. I served ours over homemade egg noodles. This one goes in my keep file.
- 1 1⁄4 lbs cube steaks (may sub. round steak, pounded thin)
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄2 onion, sliced thinly
- 6 ounces button mushrooms, sliced
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 16 ounces chicken broth
- 1⁄4 cup red wine (optional)
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon dried parsley
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour, salt and pepper; dredge cube steaks. Heat oil in skillet and brown steaks on each side. Set aside and keep warm.
- Add onions and mushrooms to skillet, reduce heat to low and cover. Stir occasionally, scraping browned bits from bottom, and "sweating" the vegetables until softened.
- Add remaining ingredients, and stir to combine. Return steaks to the skillet, covering with the sauce and veges. Cover and simmer until steaks are tender and sauce has thickened - about 45 minutes. Serve immediately.
- To freeze, place completely cooked steaks, with sauce, in freezer-safe container and freeze. To prepare, thaw in refrigerator and heat through on stove top or in micorwave.