Prep 45 mins
Cook 36 hrs
I started making this when someone gave me a jar of roasted red pepper sauce from a gourmet deli, now I create my own. The flavor combination cannot be beat! If you regularly have containers of homemade marinara in your freezer then you'll love this. Great with a green salad and garlic vinaigrette like my Garlic Vinaigrette. Serve a big, bold red wine with this and you can't go wrong!
- 3 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup parmigiano-reggiano cheese, grated
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs mild Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1 lb cremini mushroom, sliced 1/4 inch thin
- 1⁄3 cup flat-leaf Italian parsley, chopped
- 2 red peppers, roasted, peeled, seeded and chopped
- 2 quarts marinara sauce
- 1 lb lasagna noodle, cooked
- 4 cups mozzarella cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- In a bowl, stir together the ricotta, Parmi, egg, salt and pepper.
- In a large saute pan over medium heat, warm the olive oil add the sausage and cook until lightly bowned, about 10 minutes.
- Set the sausage on a paper towl to drain on the side.
- Add the mushrooms to the hot pan and saute about 8 minutes, until golden brown.
- Transfer the mushrooms to a bowl and add the sausage and parsley and mix with the red peppers and the marinara sauce.
- Spread 1 cup of the Marinara sauce on the bottom of the lasagna pan.
- Place 1/4 of the noodles on top of the sauce in a single layer.
- Spread 1/3 of the ricotta mixture on top of the noodles.
- Spread 1 cup of the mozzarella cheese over the ricotta mixture.
- Repeat twice.
- Finish with mozzarella.
- You will have leftover Marinara sauce to serve at the table.
- Cover and bake for 45 minutes.
- Uncover and continue baking another 30 minutes, or until the lasagna is golden and bubbling.
- Let stand for 15 minutes before serving.
- Heat the remaining Marinara Sauce and serve as a topping.