Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
A recipe from 'Quality Cheese Inc.' at the Pike Place Market in Seattle. An ingredient note, half-and-half is simply half milk, half cream.
- 1 cup finely grated gruyere cheese
- 1 pastry for 9 inch single pie shell, unbaked (For gluten-free, make your own recipe pie crust or order www.naturalfeast.com or www.dietspec.com)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3⁄4 lb salmon fillet, cut into 1 inch strips
- 1 cup sliced fresh mushrooms
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 pinch dried oregano
- 1 pinch dried thyme
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- additional whole sauteed mushroom (optional)
- dried oregano (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Spread Gruyère evenly over bottom of unbaked pie shell.
- Melt butter in large skillet over medium heat.
- Add salmon and mushrooms and sauté about 3 minutes, turning salmon strips once.
- Cut salmon into 1-inch chunks, then arrange salmon chunks and mushrooms evenly over pie shell.
- Beat eggs with half-and-half, oregano, thyme, salt, and pepper, and pour over salmon and mushrooms.
- Bake until center is set and top is golden, about 45 to 50 minutes.
- If pie edges start to brown too much, cover pie edges with aluminum foil or, if during the last 10 to 15 minutes of baking time, cover the whole pie loosely with aluminum foil.
- Remove pie from oven, let rest 5 minutes, then slice and serve warm with a fresh green salad or steamed vegetables.
- If desired, decorate center of pie with additional mushrooms and a sprinkling of oregano before slicing.