Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
If you love mushrooms, scroll no further. I should just leave it at that shouldn't I? But I can't, this mushroom recipe is fantastic and just writing about it, well I'm hungry and now need to eat this for dinner.
- 40 g butter
- 2 large brown onions, chopped ocarsely
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1⁄4 cup plain flour
- 400 g button mushrooms
- 400 g swiss brown mushrooms, quartered
- 400 g flat mushrooms, sliced thickly
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2⁄3 cup dry red wine
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh thyme
- Heat butter in large saucepan; cook onion and garlic, stirring, until onion softens. Add flour; cook, stirring, until mixture bubbles. Add mushrooms; cook, stirring, until mushrooms are just tender.
- Add tomato paste and wine to mushroom mixture; bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer, uncovered, until liquid is reduced by half. Add the water and stock, return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 30 minutes. Stir in thyme.
This was not as flavorful as other mushroom ragouts I've had. I added fresh tomatoes and balsamic vinegar to try and bolster the flavor.
Great way to fix mushrooms! I used portobella, button and shitake. My DH and I loved it! I halved the recipe, but wished I had made more. Thanks MellowMel! Made for Pick a Chef game(PAC).
My boyfriend loved this recipe and together we ate the entire "8" servings. I personally find that the mushroom sauce in Tempeh Bourguignon, Tempeh Bourgignon has a richer flavor, though.