Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
For meatless meals. Slightly modified from http://mealmakeovermoms.com/kitchen/2014/02/21/a-vegetarian-recipe-for-mushroom-oat-cakes-with-pecans/ -- untried by me, but I have a grandson that loves mushrooms!
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil (divided)
- 3⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 10 ounces pre-sliced mushrooms (roughly chopped)
- 2 large eggs (beaten)
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh basil (roughly chopped)
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped toasted pecans
- 1⁄2 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat 1 tablespoon olive oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and and mushrooms; cook, stirring frequently, until softened and tender, about 8 minutes.
- Remove from heat and set aside to cool for at least 10 minutes.
- While the mushroom mixture is cooling, place the eggs, basil, pecans, oats, seasoning, salt, and pepper in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Let stand 10 minutes to allow the oats to hydrate a bit. Add the cooled mushroom mixture and stir to combine.
- Wipe the skillet clean. Heat 1/2 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Use a 1/4-cup measuring cup to carefully scoop equal-size portions of the mixture from the bowl to the skillet. Work in batches. Add 4 scoops to the skillet, gently flatten each cake to measure 3 inches in diameter, and cook until golden on the bottom, about 3 minutes.
- Carefully flip the cakes and cook 3 more minutes. Repeat with the remaining oil and mushroom mixture.