Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is on nearly every Russian restaurant menu. The mushrooms make this dish, so choose flavorful ones like shitake or chantrelles. Mix them with button or portobello mushrooms if you like.
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 lbs assorted mushrooms, cleaned, stemmed, sliced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1⁄3 cup sour cream (or creme fraiche)
- black pepper, freshly ground
- 8 ounces emmenthaler cheese, grated (makes 2 cups)
- Preheat your broiler.
- Melt half the butter in a large skillet over medium high heat.
- Meanwhile, toss mushrooms and flour together in a large bowl.
- Add half the mushrooms to the skillet and saute, stirring often, until they are soft and have released their liquid, 3 to 4 minutes.
- Move the mushroom to a medium bowl and repeat the process with remaining butter and mushrooms.
- Return the skillet to medium low heat.
- Add mushrooms and any accumulated juices and sour cream, stir to mix, and cook until hot, 2 to 3 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Transfer mushroom mixture to a 4 cup heatproof baking dish or pan and evenly sprinkle top with cheese.
- Broil casserole until cheese is melted and lightly browned and bubbling on top.
- Serve immediately. Enjoy!
I made this using some gourmet mushroom mix that included shiitakes, portobellos, oyster and chantrelles....I also threw in a 1/2 lb. of button mushrooms to get to the right weight. I made a half portion of this for my husband, daughter and me and we loved it. I lightened it up, fat-wise, by using Earth Balance Buttery Sticks for the butter (no trans fats and cholesterol free) and fat free sour cream. Those substitutions did not affect the flavor of this recipe at all....it was delicious. I couldn't do anything (lowering fat) about the emmenthaler cheese so we just enjoyed the treat of it! Very earthy and rich-tasting...we just loved it! Thanks for another great recipe Sharon :)
This was wonderful! Its my daughters new favorite side dish. I used oyster mushrooms, button mushrooms and baby bellas. It turned out fantastic. Thanks so much for a great recipe.
YUMMY! I love mushrooms. I used a mixed pack of Organic specialty mushrooms which included buttons, portobello's, oyster, shiitake, and chantrelles. It was super duper good! Thanks Sharon! ZWT4