Prep 20 mins
Cook 40 mins
I just love mushrooms! Try this for a different vegetable side dish.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 tablespoon parsley, chopped
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 tablespoons flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 small lemon, juice of
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- Saute mushrooms in 1/4 cup butter for 2-3 minutes.
- Add salt, parsley and flour.
- Cover and cook over low heat for 10 minutes.
- Remove mixture from heat and add lemon juice and sour cream.
- Pour into a caserole dish sprayed with cooking spray.
- Melt 4 tbsp butter and stir into bread crumbs (enough to cover casserole dish).
- Spoon buttered bread crumbs over mushroom mixture.
- At this point, you can cover and refrigerate overnight to be made the next day.
- Before baking, sprinkle top with parmesan cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees.
- Sprinkle with paprika (optional) before serving.
This dish was often made by my grandmother. She never handed down the recipe because it was committed to memory in pinch and dash form. Thank you for helping solve the mystery. I made it for my father who was thoroughly impressed that I could reconnect our kitchen with her soul. Next time I will reduce the sour cream by half, but otherwise this is simply perfect. We appreciate you sharing with our family! =)
We enjoyed this. I used fat free sour cream and omitted the bread crumbs to save a few calories. The only issue I had was that the flour lumped up in the butter when I added it to the mushrooms. I don't know why that happened as I followed the recipe exactly. Other than that, this was a success. Will make again...thanks for posting!
We loved this recipe! In the ingredients list, it did not mention the bread crumbs, lemon juice nor extra butter for the topping and the parmesan cheese. I also used light sour cream which didn't change the flavor of the dish. If you find the mixture a bit runny, just add a little more flour and mix it in - it should absorb the extra liquid. I will definitely make this recipe again! Thanks!