Prep 15 mins
Cook 50 mins
Full of mushrooms and parsnips, tasty and light. (Originally from Canadian Living, Light and Easy Cooking).
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 1⁄2 lbs mushrooms, sliced
- 1 parsnip, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1⁄2 cup basmati rice
- 6 cups beef stock (preferably homemade, but canned will do)
- salt and pepper
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium high heat.
- Add mushrooms, parsnip, onion, garlic and rice.
- Cook stirring for about 5 minutes or until onion is softened but not browned.
- Stir in stock and simmer, uncovered for 35-45 minutes or until rice is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Yum! This is a really good soup! It has a great beefy flavor. I used canned beef broth, white rice instead of basmati, and I added some parsley flakes. Thanks for the great recipe!
this is very tasty and produced a thick soup . I used button and baby bella mushrooms and added some thyme. i think the cooking time may be a bit too long, as my rice became mushy and next time i would cook the rice separately and at it to the soup at the end.
MMMMMMMM.... Yummy! Very simple, very tasty. I love the fact that it's almost fat-free. Thanks!