Prep 30 mins
Cook 31 mins
- 1⁄2 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄4 cup butter or 1⁄4 cup margarine
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 cups water
- 1 lb fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup diced peeled potato
- 1⁄2 cup chopped carrot
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1⁄2 cup grated fresh parmesan cheese
- In a large Dutch oven, saute onion in butter until tender.
- Add flour, salt and pepper; stir to make a smooth paste.
- Gradually add water, stirring constantly.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute.
- Add the mushrooms, celery, potatoes, and carrots.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Add cream and Parmesan cheese; heat through.
I made this delicious chowder for dinner last night. What a wonderful treat. A delicious cream-based chowder with delicious vegetables. Rich and comforting. Mildly seasoned which we thought worked well with this type of recipe. Yum!!