Recipe by lortle
Caramelized onions make this wild rice particularly tasty. Important Note: You must use only wild rice, not a mixture of rices, or this will not turn out properly.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped to taste
- 10 -12 mushrooms, coarsely chopped, to taste
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup raw wild rice
- 3 1⁄4 cups water, plus
- 1 1⁄2 beef bouillon cubes or 3 1⁄4 cups salted beef broth
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large saucepan, saute the onion in the butter and olive oil at medium heat until lightly browned and beginning to caramelize; add the mushrooms and saute another 5- 10 minutes until they have released their juices; then add the wild rice and saute another 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the water, bouillion cubes, and pepper, stir a bit, bring to a boil, cover, turn heat down to low and simmer for 45- 60 minutes, or until the water is absorbed and the rice is quite tender.
- Check after 45 minutes; if it appears too dry, you may need to add 1/4 cup water; if too wet, cook uncovered for the remaining 15 minutes.
- This recipe is also quite good without mushrooms, provided you use at least 2 onions and add 1- 2 cloves of garlic (add garlic at the same time as the wild rice).