Prep 1 hr 50 mins
Cook 30 mins
Posted for ZWT IV, Germany. From The New German Cookbook. This is a heavy, sticky dough which is best made with an electric mixer with a dough hook, or heavy duty food processor.
- 2 1⁄4 ounces yeast
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 3⁄4 cups flour
- 1 cup warm buttermilk
- 1⁄2 lb light cream cheese, room temperature (or quark)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups rye flour
- Combine the yeast, sugar, and 1/2 cup of the all purpose flour; add 1/4 cup of the buttermilk and blend.
- Let mixture stand covered for 15 minutes, till spongy.
- Add the remaining buttermilk, cream cheese (or quark), butter and salt and mix for about one minute.
- Add 1 1/2 cups of the remaining white flour and all of the rye flour and knead till smooth and elastic (about 3-5 minutes).
- Shape the dough into a ball and place in a well-buttered warm large bowl.
- With well-buttered hands, pat the surface of the dough so that it is nicely buttered, too.
- Cover with a clean, dry cloth and set to rise in a warm spot, till doubled in bulk (about 1 hour).
- When doubled, punch down dough, place on floured surfaceand work in as much dough as needed to make a very stiff dough. Once the dough is a good manageable consistency, knead hard for 5 minutes, till very springy.
- Shape the dough into a ball, dust all over with flour and place in a lightly buttered 8-inch round cake pan.
- Make a deep X-cut in the top of the ball of dough, cover with a cloth and let rise in a warm, dry spot for 30 minutes. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 400.
- Bake the bread for 30-40 minutes, till richly browned and hollow-sounding when thumped.
- Remove the bread from the oven and from the pan, set on a wire rack and cool to room temperature.
- Slice about 1/2 inch thick, using a sharp, serrated knife and serve.
This made a lovely loaf of bread, but not one that I'll try making after work again. It was a little time consuming, so I'll save it for weekends. It was perfectly flavored and we really enjoyed the taste of it. Made for the Tastebud Tickling Travellers during ZWT 4.