This recipe is taken from Delia Smith’s "Christmas" and posted by request. Prep times are estimates.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1You will need a 2½ pint (1½ litre) plastic freezer box.
- 2Begin by making a syrup. This you do by adding the sugar to 6 fl oz (175 ml) water, heating it in a saucepan to boiling point, stirring gently, then simmering for 15 minutes. Remove from the heat and allow to cool before pouring it into a bowl and chilling in the refrigerator.
- 3Now, using a potato peeler, remove three strips of zest (coloured part only) from the orange and one of the lemons, then cut these finely across to give hair-like shreds. Squeeze the juice from all the citrus fruit.
- 4Next heat the wine, spices, orange and lemon juices together with the zest in a saucepan (not aluminium), simmer gently for 5 minutes, then leave to cool.
- 5When cool add the port, pour this into a separate bowl and put it into the refrigerator to chill (I often do this overnight).
- 6When both liquids are completely chilled, add 8 fl oz (225 ml) of the syrup to the wine mixture, put it in an ice-cream maker and churn for 8 minutes.
- 7Meanwhile beat the egg white until foamy but not holding stiff peaks, then add that and continue to churn for about another 8 minutes (or according to the manufacturer's instructions).
- 8Then place the sorbet in a plastic freezer box in the freezer till needed. If you don't have an ice-cream machine put the wine and syrup mixture into a rectangular plastic box and freeze, covered, for up to 2-3 hours or until it reaches the stage of becoming thicker, icy and opaque.
- 9Add the beaten egg white at this stage (as above) and continue to freeze for a further 6-7 hours, stirring it at hourly intervals.
- 10The beauty of this sorbet is that you can serve it straight from the freezer as the alcohol gives it a nice soft consistency. Use within 1 month.
- 11Makes: 1 3/4 pints (or 3.25 cups) or 1 liter.
Browse Our Top Frozen Desserts Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Mulled Wine Sorbet
Serving Size: 1 (93 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 178.2
- Calories from Fat 1
- Total Fat 0.1 g
- Saturated Fat 0.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 12.3 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 35.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.8 g
- Sugars 31.1 g
- Protein 1.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: