Recipe by evelyn/athens
One of the world's best sandwiches and great picnic fare! This has to be made ATLEAST 30 minutes before consuming and pressed with weights in the fridge to kind of 'meld' and 'marry' all the wonderful flavours together.
- 1 2⁄3 cups pimento stuffed olives, chopped
- 1 1⁄2 cups kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 2⁄3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (4 ounce) jar red peppers, drained and chopped (pimientos)
- 1⁄3 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 anchovy fillets, minced
- 2 tablespoons capers, drained,rinsed and patted dry
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon oregano, crumbled (preferably Mediterranean)
- salt and pepper
- 1 loaf round Italian bread or 1 loaf French bread, 8 inch (about 1 lb)
- 4 ounces italian salami, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces provolone cheese, thinly sliced
- 4 ounces mortadella, thinly sliced
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine first 9 ingredients in medium bowl.
- Season and leave overnight for flavours to blend together.
- Drain olive salad and reserve liquid.
- Using long, serrated knife, but bread in half horizontally.
- Remove doughy centers of each half, leaving a 1 inch thick shell.
- Brush insides of bread shells with reserved liquid.
- Press ½ of olive salad in bottom shell.
- Layer salami, provolone and mortadella over the olives.
- Press on remaining olive salad.
- Cover with top round of bread and press down gently.
- Wrap tightly in foil.
- Cover with a tray or cutting board and place 3, 5 lb weights (various large cans) and refrigerate atleast 30 minutes.
- (can be prepared up to 6 hours ahead this is great picnic fare).
- Cut into 6 wedges.
- Pierce each with a long toothpick and serve.