Prep 20 mins
Cook 12 hrs
Paula Deen says this traditional Southern dish is a must to bring to honor the living - that you can't hardly die in style without it!
- 1 quart tomatoes
- 1⁄2-1 bunch celery
- 1 (5 3/4 ounce) bottle stuffed olives, drained
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1⁄8 tablespoon cayenne pepper
- 2 (1/4 ounce) envelopesof knox unflavored gelatin
- 1⁄2 cup cold water
- Mash tomatoes into a pulp, removing any stem pieces.
- Cut celery thin.
- Add all seasonings.
- Put the gelatin in the water for 10 minutes and then heat it over boiling water until it is completely dissolved.
- Add to the tomato mixture and turn into a large mold or into individual molds.
- Rinse the mold with cold water prior to pouring the mixture in - this helps it to unmold easily.
- Pour in and refrigerate overnight.
- Slice if desired.
- Serve on lettuce leaves with a side of mayonnaise.
- Asparagus spears or any fresh vegetable is a nice garnish on the side.