Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
Appetizer found in the "Ultimate Italian Cookbook". Authentic and light.
- 4 large tomatoes
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese
- 8 -10 leaves fresh basil
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper
- balsamic vinegar (optional)
- Slice tomatoes and mozzarella cheese same thickness.
- Arrange the tomatoes, mozzarella, and basil alternating in a circle around a decorative serving dish.
- Drizzle with olive oil (and balsamic vinegar if desired).
- Serve with salt and pepper to individual taste.
I agree with the other comments (use fresh mozerella, etc.) It's hard to find in some areas. Trader Joe's has it. Italian deli's have it, if you are lucky enough to have one where you live. I just have one suggestion. Drizzle on some Balsamic vinegar along with the olive oil. I travelled all over Italy last summer and ate this salad everywhere. Many places added the Balsamic and it makes a good salad really good!
This is a great light salad. Even my children love it. I like to add a little fresh cracked black pepper to it.
This recipe is *awesome*, but here's a nifty little hint: Instead of regular mozzarella, use buffalo mozzarella. Add cucumbers to this dish, and spoon a homemade salsa relish (think tomatoes, not heat) on top of the cheese. A superb little dish!