Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
------Mozzarella Tomato Mushroom sauce over spicy beef burgers.--------
Make and share this Mozzarella Sauced Spicy Burgers recipe from Food.com.
- 1 lb beef, minced, extra lean is best
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1⁄2 cup onion, white, chopped
- 1 cup fresh carrot, grated, about 1 large
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper, divided
- 1 (7 1/2 ounce) can pizza sauce, I used hot and spicy
- 1⁄2 cup fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley
- 2 -3 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 teaspoons water
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 8 ounces mozzarella cheese, sliced
- 4 hamburger buns
- Preheat oven to 400f degrees.
- Slice bun in half and place on non stick cookie tray; top each half with cheese slices; set aside.
- In a large bowl combine beef, soy sauce, onions, carrots, egg, fennel seeds, ginger, cumin, coriander and 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper, mix well.
- Separate meat mixture into 4 portions and form into burgers; place on wire rack in an oven roaster; bake for 30 minutes or until no longer pink inside.
- While burgers are cooking make the cheese sauce in a nonstick saucepan over medium heat; combine pizza sauce, mushrooms and parsley, bring to simmer; add all of the shredded cheese and the other quarter teaspoon of cayenne.
- Simmer uncovered for 10 minutes.
- Make a slurry of the cornstarch and the water; add to cheese mixture while stirring, simmer until thickened about 5 or 6 minutes.
- When the burgers have cooked for 20 minutes, place the tray of cheese topped buns in the oven with them, to toast and melt the cheese slices.
- To assemble:.
- Place burger on bottom half of the cheesed bun, spoon sauce over the burger and top with the other half of the cheesed bun.
- Serve with a green salad or oven fries.
Love it but a little spicy
Great Burger Recipe and very easy to prepare. The sauce mixture was very good. DH2B thought the burger tasted more like meatloaf on a bun and missed the burger taste, but still liked the recipe. My sauce mixture was very thick from the onset so there was no need to mix cornstarch and water. Really loved the mushrooms in the recipe. Good Luck Chef!
We liked this RSC entry and appreciated the different spin in flavor using the same ingredients during the contest. The patties went together well and held together during cooking. Other than extra sauce I have no complaints. Good luck during the contest!