Recipe by chef heather in cullowheee, NC
Does this cake catch your eye? It is not only beautiful but melts in your mouth; it is so moist. It's a must try for any apple lover!! Very easy recipe.
Top Review by barefootmommawv
This cake was very good. Too sweet for me but it was very pretty and turned out. However I don't care for the pouring the sugar mixture over the bottom that is just weird to me. It made the bottom of the cake soggy. Because the recipe called for an 8 inch bunt pan it didn't work very well. I had to poke holes in the bottom of the cake and pour it in. If it was a larger pan it wouldn't of been much of a problem I don't think. Anyhow when I make this again I will leave out the extra on the bottom. Thanks for the recipe and I will make again with subtle changes.
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups oil
- 2 cups sugar
- 3 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 3 cups sliced apples
- 1 1⁄2 cups pecans, black walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup milk
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla or 1 teaspoon rum extract
- 1 tablespoon milk
- additional nuts (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Mix eggs, oil, and sugar. Blend well.
- Sift flour, salt,soda and cinnamon.
- Add to egg mixture.
- Add vanilla, apples and nuts. Mix well.
- Pour into a 9 inch bundt pan.
- Bake for 1 to 1-1/2 hours at 350°F until cake is set in the middle and is golden brown.
- Meanwhile combine brown sugar, milk, butter, and vanilla in a sauce pan and cook for 2 minutes.
- Pour over cake while it is hot out of the oven (leave cake in the bundt pan).
- When cooled completely remove cake to a serving plate.
- For frosting, combine powdered sugar, mayonnaise, vanilla and milk until a smooth, slightly thick icing forms.
- Once cake is cooled drizzle icing over entire cake.
- Sprinkle with additional nuts and enjoy!
- I have done several variations such as added raisins, mango, and even bananas with the apples they all have came out great!
- Just play with the recipe and add your favorites and it sure to be a hit at any party or family gathering.