Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
This Mother's Day recipe is from the Salud cooking school at Harry's in Atlanta Georgia, This is a great appetizer for a Mother's Day meal.
- 1 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, room temperature
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup raisins
- zest of one orange
Topping for muffins
- juice of one orange
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 lb thinly sliced smoked ham
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons quince jelly
- Preheat the oven at 400 and spray the muffins with non-stick spray.
- With an electric mixer, cream the butter and sugar until smooth. Add the eggs and beat until fluffy.
- In a large bowl combine the flour, salt and baking soda and add to the sugar-butter mixture alternately with the buttermilk. Stir until well mixed.
- In a food processor, grind the raisins and orange zest. Add to batter and combine. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tins and bake into golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean, about 12 minutes. Remove the pans to a baking rack. Brush the tops of the muffins with orange juice and sprinkle lightly with sugar. Let cool completely.
- For spread mix butter and quince jelly.
- Cut the ham into small pieces. Split the muffins in half, spread the quince butter and stuff with a small amount of ham. Cover with muffin top and serve.