Recipe by mersaydees
From H.F.Ullmann’s cookbook, Culinaria Greece. The recipe doesn't indicate how many servings, so I'm going to suggest it serves 8 based on the amount of beef and olives. Serve with white bread.
- 1 cup greek extra virgin olive oil or 200 ml greek extra virgin olive oil
- 2 lbs beef or 1 kg beef, cut into large cubes
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup red wine or 200 ml red wine
- 2 tomatoes, finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 lb green olives, pitted and soaked in hot water or 500 g green olives
- fresh ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in large fry pan and soften the onion. Add the meat and fry all over. Add the red wine, followed by the tomatoes, garlic, bay leaf, salt, pepper, and olives. Braise over moderate heat for 2 hours, adding hot water if necessary. Serve warm with white bread.