Recipe by A Messy Cook
This simple, savory dish is always a big hit at our house. From a "Reader's Favorites" edition of Cooking Light.
Top Review by spud8
I actually prefer mixing the rice and peppers in while the beans are cooking. I have made this dish literally dozens of times in the last few months and have not once been sick of it. I even brought it to one of my classes, which turned out to be a great success. Excellent recipe!
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1⁄2 cup tomato sauce
- 1 (15 3/4 ounce) can chicken broth
- 2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 -3 cups cooked crumbled turkey sausage
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 cups cooked white rice
- 1 cup diced bell pepper
- parmesan cheese (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in pan and saute onion and garlic for 2 minutes.
- Add tomato sauce and broth and bring to boil.
- Add next six ingredients (beans through bay leaf) and bring to boil.
- Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Discard bay leaf before serving; serve over rice with bell peppers and parmesan cheese, if desired.