Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
A savory treat for a cold winter dinner, the flavorful spices will perfume your kitchen and tantalize your taste buds. I've adapted this from the Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Recipes For Two cookbook.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs venison, cut into 1-inch cubes (or beef)
- 3 teaspoons olive oil, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 pinch saffron (as much as you'd like)
- 1 onion, sliced vertically
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 3⁄4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 cup golden raisin
- 2⁄3 cup dried mango, chopped
- 1 teaspoon harissa (may also use berbere spice mix)
- Combine 2 teaspoons olive oil with coriander, cumin, and ginger in medium bowl. Add meat and toss to coat well.
- Heat remaining 1 teaspoons olive oil in skillet over med. high heat. Brown meat on all sides; place in crock pot. (I use a 2.5-3 quart crock -- if yours is a different size you may want to adjust the recipe accordingly).
- Add onions and garlic to skillet and sauté 3-4 minutes, just till they start to brown.
- Add veggie stock to onion mixture in skillet and bring to boil. Remove from heat and add to crock pot.
- Add cinnamon stick and cook 5 hours on LOW.
- After 5 hours, stir stew and add raisins, mango, and harissa.
- Cook an additional 2-3 hours. Serve over couscous or rice, or with spongy bread.
Very Yummy. Our friends loved it.