Recipe by kitty.rock
From Eating Well magazine, October 2008..."Chorba is Morocco's answer to minestrone. It's hearty with chunks of beef or lamb, plenty of vegetables and a bit of pasta. Turmeric gives the broth a rich, golden-orange color."
Top Review by Annacia
First I need to say that I skipped the meat it's self but did use the beef broth. We loved this soup, the spice flavors make it something special. It was hearty enought to become dinner with the orzo. It would also be great with garbanzo's in place of the pasta. :D
- 29.58 ml extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely diced
- 9.85 ml ground turmeric
- 453.59 g beef stew meat (such as chuck) or 453.59 g lamb stew meat, trimmed and cut into 1/2 thick cubes (shoulder or leg)
- 1419.54 ml reduced-sodium beef broth or 1419.54 ml water
- 396.89 g can diced tomatoes
- 2 small turnips, peeled and diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalk celery, leaves included, thinly sliced
- 0.25 ml saffron thread
- 12 sprig flat leaf parsley, plus more leaves for garnish
- 8 sprig fresh cilantro, plus more leaves for garnish
- 1 large zucchini, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 56.69 g angel hair pasta (capellini, broken into small pieces, about 1/2 cup) or 56.69 g orzo pasta, preferably whole-wheat
- 4.92-9.85 ml kosher sea salt
- 2.46 ml fresh ground pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oil in a dutch oven over medium-high heat.
- Add onion and turmeric; stir to coat.
- Add meat and cook. stirring occasionally, until the onion is tender, 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add broth (or water), tomatoes and their juice, turnips, carrots, celery and saffron.
- Tie parsley and cilantro sprigs together with kitchen string and add to the pot.
- Bring the soup to a boil.
- Cover and reduce to a simmer.
- Cook until the meat is tender, 45 to 50 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini and cook, covered, until soft, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Add pasta and cook until soft, 4 to 10 minutes, depending on the type of pasta.
- Discard the parsley and cilantro sprigs. Season with salt (start with 1 teaspoon if you're using beef broth; add more if you're using water) and pepper.
- Serve sprinkled with parsley and/or cilantro leaves, if desired.