Recipe by lauralie41
This lightly sweet stew is from North Africa and was adapted from a gourmet and international recipe website. It also will be included in the Zaar World Tour 2005 swap, africa.
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 2 cups onions, chopped
- 2 large garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 cup carrot, sliced crosswise 1/8 inch thick
- 1 large green bell pepper, cut into 1/4 inch strips
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 medium eggplant, peeled and cut into 1/4 inch cubes (about 4 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup raisins
- 1 (1 lb) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained (or 2 cups of cooked chick peas)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large skillet over medium flame, heat oil. Add onion and garlic; cook for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add carrots, bell pepper, spices and 1/2 cup of water and cook for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add remaining ingredients, cover skillet and simmer over medium-low heat for approximately 30 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Stir mixture occasionally while cooking.
- Serve this stew over couscous, rice or cooked grains.