Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
I am making my cousin a full days worth of meal mixes for Christmas this year. This is a GIAJ version of my Moroccan Style Chicken, which will be for the dinner portion. This makes about 1/3 cup of mix, which serves 8. Since it is just the two of them, I am going to package this in a recycled spice container, but you could also use a larger jar and add some dried apricots, so that all the gift receiver would need to add is chicken, oil, and water. Cook/prep time is for actually cooking the chicken.
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon garlic salt
- 1 tablespoon dried onion
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- 2 teaspoons chicken bouillon (or 2 cubes, crushed)
- 1⁄2 cup dried apricot, chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts, cut into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups water
- To make mix: Mix ingredients together, and put into an airtight container. Will store for 6 months.
- To make Moroccan Style Chicken: Combine mix with oil and chicken in a gallon sized ziploc bag, and squoosh around to thoroughly coat chicken and apricots.
- Heat your largest skillet over medium high heat. When it is nice and hot, add the chicken to the pan, spreading it in a single even layer.
- Brown chicken; turn and brown other side, about 4 minutes per side.
- Add water; stir gently to combine. Bring to a boil, then turn heat down and simmer 10 minutes.
- NOTE: If you are mixing up a multiple of this recipe, you can use about 1 T. of the spice mix, 1/2 T. apricots, and 1/4 pound of chicken for each serving.
Gave this as a part of my grandsons Christmas Basket. Thanks for posting , he was thrilled I actually had this for supper tonight. It was wonderful , served it with noodles and a medley of onions, mushrooms and zuchinni. I added 1 tbsp of cornstarch at the end the thicken the sauce. The sauce was perfect and I am trying to think of what else can I use it with. Thanks for posting.
very good, very easy. I made without apricots, and have plenty of spice mix left for other times.
Absolutely wonderful! This is so simple and delicious that it hard to believe. I made the spice mix about a week and a half before making the recipe and as I made a reduced amount I have lots left to make this again soon! :D. I added the apricots when I made the recipe as the ones I have are quite moist and I didn't want the spice to be a glomp of goo when I was ready to use it. I used one *large* skinless boneless chicken breast and that was enough for two. The flavor is delicious and on the mild side. If you enjoy a warmer Moroccan style it would be simple to add red pepper flakes to suite your taste. The liquid in the skillet at the end of cooking is thin, I just reduced it a bit and poured it over the chicken and couscous that I served it with. For a finishing touch I sprinkled some chopped walnuts on top. I wish I could give it more that 5 stars. Made for Photo Tag.