Prep 10 mins
Cook 20 mins
This easy, inexpensive soup is healthy and filling. It can be easily scaled up or down, and is vegan if made with vegetable stock or water. Adapted from a recipe by Phoebe Lapine and Cara Eisenpress at Serious Eats. http://bit.ly/gKP9zX
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small yellow onions, finely diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and finely diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup dried red lentils
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 quarts chicken stock or 2 quarts vegetable stock or 2 quarts water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat until shimmering. Add onion and carrot and saute until soft, 5-7 minutes. Add garlic, cumin, ginger and salt and continue to saute until fragrant, 1-2 minutes. Add lentils, tomato paste and stock.
- Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer and partially cover. Cook 20 minutes, or until lentils are tender. Add lemon juice and half the cilantro. Taste for seasoning. If you would like the soup thicker, pulse briefly with an immersion blender, or transfer 1/3 of the lentils and broth to a blender, puree and return to pot.
- Garnish with remaining cilantro and serve with crusty bread.