Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Moroccan recipes are so flavorful and delicious and this recipe sounds wonderful. Prep time does not include marinating time. Not sure where I originally found this recipe -- it has been in my recipe file for a long time. Posting here for safe-keeping.
- 4 large oranges, sliced
- 2 cups dates, pitted (about 8 oz.)
- 4 Cornish hens (1 1/2 pounds ea.)
- 2 cups fresh cilantro stems (cilantro sprigs)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 12 garlic cloves
- 1⁄2 cup pimento stuffed olive
- 1⁄2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1⁄2 cup marsala wine
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- Arrange orange slices in a 2 quart (13 x9 ) baking dish and sprinkle evenly with dates.
- Remove and discard giblets and neck (if included) and rinse hens with cold water. Pat dry. Remove skin & excess fat. Split hens in half lengthwise. Place hen halves, meaty side up, on top of dates. Prepare paste. Place cilantro in food processor; pulse 4 times or until coarsely chopped. Add cardamom, cumin, coriander and garlic. Process until finely chopped. Place cilantro mixture onto hens; arrange olives around hens.
- Prepare marinade. Combine vinegar, wine, & honey; stir well with a whisk until well blended. Slowly pour over hens. Cover and marinade in refrigerator 2-24 hours, basting once with vinegar mixture.
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Uncover hens and bake at 250 for 1 hours 25 minute or until juices run clear. Baste occasionally with the vinegar mixture. Shield wings with foil, if needed.