Recipe by Dib's
This is a recipe from a friend of mine-web name is FootsieBear. I would add red pepper flakes and replace parsley with cilantro-serve with Harissa Dip.
Top Review by NickiMoz
Tasty, although did find the filling a little dry. Will experiment with adding a few extras next time. Working with filo - I'm from the UK :) - for the first time was much easier than I expected!
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1⁄3 cup olive oil
- 15 ounces lean ground beef or 15 ounces lamb
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- ground pepper
- 1⁄2 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 5 eggs
- 1 lb phyllo pastry
- 6 ounces butter, melted
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 300 F.
- To make filling: cook onion in the olive oil until soft.
- Add beef or lamb, crushing it with a fork.
- Add seasonings and spices.
- Cook 10-15 minutes, stirring with a wooden spoon, until meat is well cooked and lump free.
- Add parsley.
- Lightly beat the eggs in a bowl and pour over the meat.
- Cook for 1-2 min, stirring, until egg mixture sets to creamy consistency.
- Add more spices and seasonings, if desired and allow to cool.
- (I would add red pepper flakes) Cut each sheet of phyllo pastry into three equal-sized rectangles.
- Place one on top of the other and cover with a damp towel.
- Brush one of the rectangles lightly with melted butter.
- Place a teaspoon of filling along one of the short edges.
- Tuck the edge and ends of pastry around filling, and roll into a cigar shape.
- Repeat with other rectangles.
- Fry in hot oil to brown on all sides, drain and place in warm oven.
- Repeat and serve with Harissa Dip.