Chili and Biscuits Casserole
- Ready In:
- 1 lb lean ground turkey or 1 lb ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup bell pepper, chopped
- 1⁄3 cup onion, chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14 ounce) can kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄4 teaspoon oregano leaves, dried and crushed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (or chili pepper sauce)
- 1⁄3 cup picante sauce (or salsa, I use Pace Picante sauce)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded, separated into 1/3 cups
- 1 (16 ounce) can Pillsbury Grands refrigerated buttermilk biscuits (the flaky layer kind)
- sour cream
- cheese, shredded
- Brown turkey in 12-inch skillet, drain grease. Add onion and bell pepper to the ground meat and cook until veggies are crisp tender.
- Stir tomatoes with juice, beans, spices and Tabasco sauce into meat mixture. Simmer over medium heat for 10 (you can simmer longer if you'd like).
- Remove meat mixture from stove, add 1/3 cup salsa and 1/3 cup cheese and stir until well blended.
- Pour mixture into 13 X 9 inch casserole dish, level out mixture.
- Sprinkle 1/3 cup cheese over beef mixture in casserole.
- Split each biscuit in 1/2 lengthwise, this is why the layered biscuits are important, it makes it easier. Arrange biscuits over the cheese and beef mixture, covering the top of the casserole.
- Add remaining 1/3 cup of cheese on top of biscuits.
- Bake at 350°F for 15 minutes on bottom shelf of oven, and 15 additional minutes on top shelf of oven until biscuits are deep golden brown.
- Serve with sour cream, salsa and additional cheese if desired.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
<p>I like to experiment in the kitchen and am not afraid to modify a recipe based on what I have on hand or what I think might taste good. I enjoy cooking things that are simple, delicious and nutritious. I enjoy food and beverage pairing. It is interesting how certain foods and beverages together can enhance the food or alter the taste. When I'm not working I enjoy spending time with loved ones, reading, crafts and aromatherapy. I'm always looking for simple recipies to keep my loved ones happy and healthy.</p>