Prep 30 mins
Cook 25 mins
This recipe is out of the Moroccan Modern Cookbook.
- 10 egg whites
- 1⁄2 cup superfine sugar
- 2 tablesppons self rising flour
- 1 cup dark chocolate
- 1 cup fresh dates, chopped
- 1 cup roasted almonds, chopped
- confectioners' sugar, to dust
- chocolate syrup, to serve
- strawberry, to garnish
- ice cream, to serve
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Grease and line a 9 inch round cake tin about 3 inches deep.
- Whisk the egg whites until stiff while adding the superfine sugar and flour a bit at a time (this mixture should resemble that of a merfingue). Fold in the choclate, dates, and almonds. Spoon mixture into the prepared cake tin. Bake the cake for 15 minutes, until the cake rises, then reduce temperature to 200 degrees and cook for a further 10 minutes to cook the center. Cool slightly, then dust with confectioners' sgar.
- To serve, cut into wedges and drizzle with chcolate sauce.
- Garnish with strawberries, and seve with ice cream.
I made this tonight [halving the recipe] and while it did not rise a great deal it tasted fabulous and also looked pretty good. In my opinion you cannot go wrong with the combo of chocolate and dates !! Made for ZWT9.