Prep 5 mins
Cook 1 hr 20 mins
This dish has an interesting taste to it, spicy & sweet at the same time. The prep time does not include marinating time.
- 1 Spanish onion, grated
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄2 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 -3 lbs skinless chicken pieces
- chicken giblets (optional)
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1⁄2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 10 phyllo pastry sheets
- Combine all the ingredients for the chermoula in a bowl then pour over the chicken pieces & giblets. Rub in well and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours (over night is better).
- Place the chicken pieces, giblets, & chermoula into a large tagine (or stove-top & oven-proof casserole). Add the water & turmeric, cover then simmer for 1 hour over medium-low heat, stirring halfway through. Transfer the chicken, giblets, & sauce to a large bowl & remove any loose bones.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees then mix the cinnamon & sugar together to be used later.
- Pour 2 small ladles of juice from the bowl into the tagine (or oven-proof casserole dish). Cover the bottom of the dish with 3 pastry leaves then sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of the cinnamon mixture. Layer with 2 more pastry leaves, 1 ladle of juice, and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon mixture.
- Arrange the chicken pieces on top of the pastries then cover with another 2 leaves. Moisten with 2 more small ladles of juice then pat the pastry down around the chicken pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Sprinkle another 1/2 tsp of cinnamon mixture on that layer & cover with the remaining 3 sheets. Pat down as above, pour the remaining juice over the dish & sprinkle on the last of the cinnamon mixture.
- Cook in the oven for 20 minutes, until the chicken is tender, then serve hot from the oven.
delicious, interesting and pretty! I will make this again, a double batch of the actual cooked chicken and freeze to have it ready when i want this quickly :)