1/1 Photo of Moroccan Chicken in Pastry Leaves
1 hr 25 mins
1 hr 20 mins
This dish has an interesting taste to it, spicy & sweet at the same time. The prep time does not include marinating time.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 Spanish onion, grated
- 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered saffron
- 2 tablespoons fresh Italian parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh cilantro, finely chopped
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1Combine all the ingredients for the chermoula in a bowl then pour over the chicken pieces & giblets. Rub in well and leave to marinate in the fridge for at least 2 hours (over night is better).
- 2Place the chicken pieces, giblets, & chermoula into a large tagine (or stove-top & oven-proof casserole). Add the water & turmeric, cover then simmer for 1 hour over medium-low heat, stirring halfway through. Transfer the chicken, giblets, & sauce to a large bowl & remove any loose bones.
- 3Preheat the oven to 350 degrees then mix the cinnamon & sugar together to be used later.
- 4Pour 2 small ladles of juice from the bowl into the tagine (or oven-proof casserole dish). Cover the bottom of the dish with 3 pastry leaves then sprinkle with 1/2 tsp of the cinnamon mixture. Layer with 2 more pastry leaves, 1 ladle of juice, and 1/2 tsp of cinnamon mixture.
- 5Arrange the chicken pieces on top of the pastries then cover with another 2 leaves. Moisten with 2 more small ladles of juice then pat the pastry down around the chicken pieces with a wooden spoon.
- 6Sprinkle another 1/2 tsp of cinnamon mixture on that layer & cover with the remaining 3 sheets. Pat down as above, pour the remaining juice over the dish & sprinkle on the last of the cinnamon mixture.
- 7Cook in the oven for 20 minutes, until the chicken is tender, then serve hot from the oven.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Moroccan Chicken in Pastry Leaves
Serving Size: 1 (209 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 372.5
- Calories from Fat 145
- Total Fat 16.1 g
- Saturated Fat 2.9 g
- Cholesterol 68.9 mg
- Sodium 891.6 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 30.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.0 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 24.9 g