Recipe by Acerast
This is a Joyce Goldstein recipe that I came across via a Nutrition Action Newsletter. It is very good - and healthy!!
Top Review by Edesia
Great recipe. Even though I forgot about them as I was waiting for the glaze to reduce and they got a bit dark on the bottom, my guests really enjoyed them. Simple and easy preparation; great flavor.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1⁄3 teaspoon ground cinnamon (yes, it says 1/3)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 dash cayenne
- 1 1⁄2 cups carrots, peeled and julienned (about 1/2 lb.)
- 1⁄3 cup orange juice
- 2 1⁄2 tablespoons dried currants, soaked in hot water
- fresh ground black pepper, to taste
- parsley, chopped (to garnish)
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan over moderate heat.
- Reduce the heat to low, add the sugar, spices, and carrots and stir for a few minutes.
- Add the orange juice and the currants with some of their soaking liquid; bring to a boil.
- Quickly reduce the heat and simmer, covered, until the carrots are tender.
- Add pepper and adjust the seasoning to taste.
- Sprinkle with chopped parsley or mint.