Prep 20 mins
Cook 15 mins
This is a flaky Moroccan dessert of phyllo dough stuffed with ground almonds & sugar, topped with honey.
- 2 cups ground almonds
- 4 tablespoons sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 5 tablespoons sweet unsalted butter
- 1 egg
- 12 sheets phyllo dough
- 1 egg yolk, beaten
- 1⁄2 cup peanut oil, for frying
- 3 tablespoons honey, heated
- Combine the almonds, sugar, & cinnamon in a bowl. Gently melt the butter until just hot then add the almond mixture. Stir continuously until the mixture browns slightly, remove from heat.
- Let the mixture cool then briskly beat the egg in with it. Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Note: Make sure to keep the phyllo dough under a damp towel or it will dry out.
- Fold each phyllo dough in half making a long thin strip. Place 2 tbsp of mixture at one end & make a triangle packet by folding one side over the filling, continue until the last section. Brush the last fold with egg yoke to seal. Set aside --.
- Heat the oil & fry the triangles on each side for 1 minute. Finish cooking in the oven for 3 minutes. Place the triangles in a serving dish & pour the heated honey over them.