Recipe by NutFreeMom
Modified from King Arthur Flour to match our tastes and reduce sugar. They're plenty sweet and a great breakfast muffin! Turned out so well I wanted to record what I did.
- 1⁄3 cup raisins
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar (I used turbinado)
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cardamom
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups peeled and grated carrots
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1⁄2 cup unsweetened grated coconut
- 1⁄3 cup sunflower seeds
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup coconut oil, just melted
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a muffin tin.
- Put the raisins in a bowl and cover with hot water, set aside to soak while you assemble the rest of the recipe.
- Whisk together flour, sugar, baking soda, spices, and salt in large mixing bowl.
- Stir in the carrots, applesauce, coconut, and sunflower seeds.
- In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, oil, orange juice, and vanilla. Add to the flour mixture, and stir until evenly moistened.
- Drain the raisins and stir them inches.
- Scoop the batter into the prepared muffin tin. The muffin cups will be almost full to the top.
- Bake until nicely domed and inserted cake tester comes out clean, 25 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool in pan for 5 minutes. Place muffins on rack to finish cooling.