Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
This comes from Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites. They recommend this slaw with Indian, Mexican, Middle Eastern, Spanish, or American food. That's some variety! Prepare the dressing first so the flavor has time to develop. Cooking time is chill time.
Cumin Yogurt Dressing
- 1⁄2 cup nonfat yogurt or 1⁄2 cup low-fat plain yogurt
- 1 small garlic clove, pressed
- 1 teaspoon fresh lime juice or 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon red onion, grated
- 1 pinch ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon fresh cilantro (optional) or 1⁄2-1 teaspoon mint, minced (optional)
- 2 cups savoy cabbage or 2 cups green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1⁄2 cup red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 cup red onion, finely chopped
- Whisk together all of the dressing ingredients and set aside.
- Combine the cabbage, bell peppers, celery and onions in a large bowl. Add the dressing and toss well. Chill for at least 15 minutes before serving.
I wasn't that impressed with this salad. It wasn't bad, it just seemed like it was missing something. I used a green pepper instead of red and added some chopped cucumbers (because I needed to use them up). The onion flavor was really strong, but that could have been my onion and not the recipe. I probably won't make this again.