Moosewood French Rice Salad
I got this from the New Recipes from Moosewood Restaurant back in the late 80's when I was a vegetarian and always looking for a way to use up my rice. This one is easy and tasty. I have taken liberties with the recipe...Chill time is listed under preparation time :)
- Ready In:
- 1hr 20mins
- 3 cups rice (I like brown but you can try white also)
- 1 cup carrot, small dice
- 1 cup red bell pepper, diced (try green peppers too)
- 1 cup mushroom, sliced
- 1 cup green peas (fresh or frozen)
- 1 small celery, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 3⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- 1⁄4 - 1⁄3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 garlic clove, pressed
- 1 1 teaspoon dried dill or 1 teaspoon dried marjoram (use one or two of these)
- chopped tomato (to garnish)
- green olives, to garnish
- dried currant (optional)
- 1⁄2 cup toasted pine nuts (optional)
- Place the cooked rice in a large bowl. Steam the carrots, peppers, mushrooms and peas separately until tender but still firm (please don't overcook).
- Add the steamed vegetables, celery, and parsley to the rice. Whisk the olive oil, vegetable oil, lemon juice, garlic and herbs together. Pour the marinade over the vegetable rice mix and toss gently.
- Refrigerate until well chilled, stirring occasionally, so the marinade will flavor the rice.
- When ready to serve, garnish with tomato wedges and green olives along with any of the optional ingredients above.
- (Note: 1 have also topped with parmesan cheese but I have no idea how much I used - it was good!).