Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Great stew,..ad at least 15 min. to cooking time. You'll see why in recipe.
- 2 1⁄2 lbs moose, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 (10 1/2 ounce) cans condensed beef broth
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 1 large onion, diced
- 3 carrots, sliced
- 18 small whole white onions
- 12 small new potatoes, peeled
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Saute meat cubes in shortening until brown on all sides.
- Add pepper, paprika, bay leaf, salt, beef broth, red wine, onion, and carrots.
- Cover and simmer until meat is tender, about 2 hours.
- Add whole onions and potatoes; cover and simmer for an additional 15 minutes, or until the vegetables are barely tender.
- Mix butter and flour into a paste.
- Drop into simmering stew.
- Cook, stirring, until stew bubbles and thickens.
- Serve with rice or polenta.
Thank you for the wonderful recipe! I loved it ? I added peas and turnips and cooked it in my cast iron Dutch oven ...turned out awesome!! It's going in the recipe book ?
This was a hit when I made it for church. I needed something special to make with the last bit of moose we had from Alaska. I couldn't find new potatoes because I was in a hurry and used red ones instead - It would have turned out so much better with the new potatoes!! Thanks!!