Recipe by Lennie
Found on the Web in response to a request from a fellow Zaar member for a Montreal-style bagel. Malt powder or syrup is typically found in home-brewing (do-it-yourself-beer) stores.
Top Review by Gord27
WOW!!! Excellent recipe. Good taste, good texture. I need to practice shaping them. I thought a tbls. of beaten eggs sounded silly so I put in a whole egg. Maybe a touch more salt would be good. I think 24 would be better than 12--a bit too big. These will be a regular in our house. Gord27
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (8 g) package dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon malt drink powder or 1 tablespoon syrup
- 4 1⁄2 cups unbleached white bread flour (you may need more)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1⁄2 cup poppy seed (or 1/2 cup sesame seeds, or be creative and try a combination)
- 6 quarts water
- 1⁄3 cup honey
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, stir together the warm water, sugar, canola oil, yeast (not instant), egg and malt; keep combining until the yeast dissolves. Then, stir in salt and one cup of the flour.
- Gently add enough flour to make a soft dough, about 3 cups.
- Knead your dough for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring in extra flour as you need it. When your dough is firm and smooth, cover with inverted bowl and let sit 10 minutes.
- Next, divvy up the dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 10-inch rope, then curve each one around your hand, pressing together ends to make a bagel shape. You may need to use a few drops of water to help the ends stay together.
- Let bagels rise for 30 minutes.
- When ready, fill a large pot with the 6 quarts of water and then stir in the honey; bring that up to a boil.
- Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat mats.
- When the honey-water has come up to the boil, drop in bagels and boil for about 90 seconds (1 1/2 minutes), turning only once. Drain your bagels on clean, dry dish towels and then place on baking sheets. Sprinkle both sides of bagels with seeds. Be generous!
- Place your bagels in preheated oven and bake until golden in appearance, about 20 minutes, turning just once. Enjoy!