1/4 Photos of Montreal Bagels
1 hr 22 mins
Found on the Web in response to a request from a fellow Zaar member for a Montreal-style bagel. Malt powder or syrup is typically found in home-brewing (do-it-yourself-beer) stores.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 3 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 (8 g) package dry yeast
- 1 tablespoon beaten egg
- 1 tablespoon malt drink powder or 1 tablespoon syrup
- 4 1/2 cups unbleached white bread flour (you may need more)
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 cup poppy seed (or 1/2 cup sesame seeds, or be creative and try a combination)
- 6 quarts water
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1In a large bowl, stir together the warm water, sugar, canola oil, yeast (not instant), egg and malt; keep combining until the yeast dissolves. Then, stir in salt and one cup of the flour.
- 2Gently add enough flour to make a soft dough, about 3 cups.
- 3Knead your dough for 10 to 12 minutes, stirring in extra flour as you need it. When your dough is firm and smooth, cover with inverted bowl and let sit 10 minutes.
- 4Next, divvy up the dough into 12 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a 10-inch rope, then curve each one around your hand, pressing together ends to make a bagel shape. You may need to use a few drops of water to help the ends stay together.
- 5Let bagels rise for 30 minutes.
- 6When ready, fill a large pot with the 6 quarts of water and then stir in the honey; bring that up to a boil.
- 7Meanwhile, preheat your oven to 425 degrees F and line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper or Silpat mats.
- 8When the honey-water has come up to the boil, drop in bagels and boil for about 90 seconds (1 1/2 minutes), turning only once. Drain your bagels on clean, dry dish towels and then place on baking sheets. Sprinkle both sides of bagels with seeds. Be generous!
- 9Place your bagels in preheated oven and bake until golden in appearance, about 20 minutes, turning just once. Enjoy!
Browse Our Top Yeast Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Montreal Bagels
Serving Size: 1 (6944 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 292.3
- Calories from Fat 59
- Total Fat 6.6 g
- Saturated Fat 0.6 g
- Cholesterol 4.5 mg
- Sodium 217.1 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 52.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.6 g
- Sugars 14.4 g
- Protein 6.4 g