Recipe by Rita~
A great brunch item! One of my husbands favorite filling, baked, french toast style, sandwiches filled with cheese, ham, turkey & mustard. Raspberry preserves is a must for him. Could be eaten for breakfast, lunch or dinner. This is a LESSER FAT Monte Cristo recipe being baked and not fried full of flavor! I also like to buy the low salt cold cuts or use fresh baked turkey leftovers sliced thin.
Top Review by SarasotaCook
A friend just asked me how to make a Monte Cristo, and I said I have a great baked recipe. I looked this up and realized I never reviewed it. I did pass the recipe on to her with a link and hope she makes it. It was delicious.
So my review. I love challah bread for this. Whole wheat for me, just doesn't work well. I loved the mustard, I used a a honey mustard which was really good. And definitely the jam. The raspberry jam is key and powdered sugar. That makes the dish. I used a roasted turkey and baked ham from the deli, so good meats really play an important roll. And I used baby swiss, it is just so sweet and mild.
Turned out perfect and wouldn't change a thing. I lined mine baking sheet with parchment and nothing stuck. It was easy and wonderful. I cut mine in quarters and served it family style with a big salad with dried fruit and a citrus dressing and a creamy potato/leek soup for dinner.
thx for a great classic!
- 8 slices bread (I use challah)
- 4 teaspoons honey dijon mustard
- 8 slices thin deli sliced swiss cheese
- 8 slices thin deli ham
- 8 slices thin deli sliced turkey (I like smoked)
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon melted butter
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons milk (low fat to try to keep it low in fat!)
- powdered sugar, for dusting
- raspberry preserves, for dipping
Directions See How It's Made
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Lightly butter a baking sheet pan. I use the spray.
- Spread 1/2 teaspoon mustard on each slice of bread.
- Layer between mustard sides of two slices of bread, 1 slice cheese, 2 slices ham, 2 slices turkey, and another slice of cheese.
- Repeat to make four sandwiches. Whisk eggs, flour, butter, salt and pepper in a shallow dish until smooth.
- Blend in milk.
- DIP both sides of sandwiches into egg mixture until bread is lightly soaked.
- Place on baking sheet; drizzle any remaining egg mixture over top of sandwiches.
- Bake 8-10 minutes until bottom is golden brown.
- Turn with wide spatula and continue baking 8-10 minutes or until second side is golden brown.
- Serve warm dusted with powdered sugar and dip or spread raspberry preserves on sandwiches.
- Garnish with fresh raspberries.