Recipe by Oolala
A MUST for us! A neighbor in Omaha had given this to my Mom in the early'60's and she has made it every Thanksgiving since. Now I make the holiday, so I make the mold! It's very easy. Keep in mind that this has walnuts just in case you have guests who are allergic to nuts. Enjoy! *You can make this 2 days before serving so I will make it on the Tuesday before Thanksgiving and keep it in the mold in the refrigerator and just unmold it before serving.
Top Review by smellicious
I can't believe someone else has my family's favorite jello recipe! We've been making it for decades and Thanksgiving wouldn't be complete without it. I use any red jello and usually mix cherry and stawberry and omit the apple. Toast the walnuts in the microwave for a minute or two and the skins won't be bitter. Cool before adding. This is Thanksgiving in one bite and makes a great side dish or dessert. Thanks for submitting it.
- 1 (16 ounce) can whole berry cranberry sauce
- 2 (3 ounce) packages Jello gelatin, black cherry flavor
- 2 cups water, hot
- 1 cup water, cold
- 2 medium red apples, peeled, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1⁄2 cup walnuts, chopped
- parsley sprig, for garnish (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, dissolve the packages of jello in the hot water.
- Add the cold water and the cranberry sauce. Blend well and chill.
- Before mixture sets, add apples, celery and nuts and mix well.
- Pour into a jello 3 cup mold sprayed lightly with a vegetable oil.
- Chill until it sets and invert on a plate when ready to serve. You can garnish with parsley sprigs.