Prep 20 mins
Cook 25 mins
This is a recipe I enjoyed growing up. Stews, sheppards pie or turkey dinner was always accompanied by these pickled beets. Later once I moved away, pickled beets was always one of those stocking stuffers I hoped for.
- 4 cups beets
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups water
- 1 1⁄2 cups vinegar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons mustard seeds
- 1 teaspoon allspice
- 1⁄2 teaspoon whole cloves
- 6 inches cinnamon sticks
- Sterilize jars.
- Wash well and cook beets just until tender. Let cool and coarsely dice into rough 1 inch cubes or slices.
- Mix sugar, water, vinegar salt and spices together and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for five minutes.
- Place a 1/2 inch piece of cinnamon stick in each jar.
- Fill with beets, leaving 1/2 inch space at the top. Poor hot brine over beets and seal.
- Let sit for at least two weeks.
- Note: Reserve the liquid from the beets and make my Old Fashion Beet Jelly Recipe (Recipe #469171) for a wonderful jelly for toast!